I know, I know — everyone is baking banana bread during quarantine and everyone is baking sourdough during quarantine but I still wanted to add my own spin on the phenomenon by combining the two!
If you hopped on the sourdough bandwagon and you are in need of discard recipes here is another to add to your repertoire! This loaf packs SO MUCH flavor and will easily become your new favorite banana bread recipe. It combines so many things that I love: chocolate, banana, coffee, and sourdough all swirled to perfection! Trust me, this is not your basic banana bread.
I was inspired to create this recipe the way most people are inspired to make banana bread: they had too many overripe bananas sitting on the counter but I waned to do something a little different. After my recent experiment with Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies, I realized that I loved the way chocolate and sourdough came together. I wanted to find another way to use this awesome pairing. So when I spied the dark bananas on the counter as I was feeding Bread Pitt, my sourdough starter, I knew what I had to do!
CHOCOLATE AND ESPRESSO MARBLED BANANA BREAD
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
- 240g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 113g lite olive oil or refined coconut oil
- 100g brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 100g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas, chopped or mashed
- 125g sourdough starter (discard/unfed)
- 4 oz dark or semi-sweet bakers chocolate
- 1 oz/1 shot of espresso
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray your 9×5 loaf pan with oil, butter or non-stick spray.
- Set the chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl or mug. Add the espresso (preferably hot just out of the machine). If the coffee is not hot enough to melt the chocolate you can microwave it in 15 second bursts, stirring each time until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the batter.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a fork to combine ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl add the oil and sugars. Mix on medium-high with a mixer until ingredients are fully incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas. Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the sourdough starter and then gradually add in the flour mixture gently by hand.
- Scoop 8oz (approx 1 cup) of the batter into a clean bowl and gently fold in the melted chocolate.
- Pour batters into prepared pan. Place one-third (just eyeball it) of the plain banana bread batter on the bottom. Then scoop one-third of the chocolate banana bread batter on top of the plain batter – I do three separate blobs. Repeat two more times until all the batter is added. Use a butter knife or chopstick to gently swirl the two batters.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes. Do not over bake!
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.